Thursday, June 30, 2011

St Germain, the South Yarra of Paris

Last Thursday I caught up with a dear friend from Melbourne who's spending the summer living the dream: renting an apartment in St Germain and studying French at the Alliance-Francoise.

I ventured out on my own to bash down a couple of coffees on the recommendation of a barista mate who's living in Berlin. Well, call me Ms Parochial Pants, but I loved Eggs&Co, which serves amazing coffee down a laneway off Rue de Rennes. (I can't help it. I'm a Melburnian, I like coffee and I like laneways. No further correspondence will be entered into.)


My latte and ristretto were both pretty perfect, and the barista was a Frenchmen who had formerly lived in Sydney, and was very fond of Australians and our coffee culture. He also gave me a couple of recommendations for other cafes which were equally lovely.


After meeting my friend, our first stop was Sephora which is my favourite purveyor of prettifying things in the whole wide world. I asked my friend how her French was and if it was improving. She said it was crap, and then proceeding to ask the salesgirl if they had any make-up remover wipes. Hmmm. Methinks she underestimates her vocab skills.

She then took me to visit her gorgeous apartment, where we sat for a while, drank tea and gossiped, before heading out to lunch.


The gorgeous salon du the we chose was quaint and charming and our smoked salmon salads were delicious.






We then shopped for a while, including a trip to the heavenly Le Bon Marche, widely considered to be one of the world's finest food halls. Agree.


St Germain did remind me quite a bit of South Yarra, where ordinarily I wouldn't spend time (except when I am invited to the charming and gracious home of a dear friend for dinner and Scrabble -- then it's a pleasure). I usually avoid South Yarra for its ostentatious wealth and a lack of the gritty charm that characterises my beloved inner north. But I had such a lovely afternoon, walking and perusing the boutiques amd stopping to buy a few gifts for friends here and there. I'll be back, St Germain -- I'm not done with you just yet.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment